UNIVERSAL IDEALS AND OMNIFARIOUS FAILURES
JUST A FEW EXAMPLES
There is a number of ideals which have somehow been
professed for centuries or millenniums by adherents of practically
all ideologies, political or nonpolitical, religious or nonreligious:
Not many people are openly against any of these ideals. Yet,
humankind is, and has been, perpetually faced -- also for
centuries or millenniums -- with all kinds of failure, like the
- peace, peaceful coexistence and security
- democracy (as opposed to the dictatorship of one or a few)
- equality or nondiscrimination (particularly with regard to
nationality, race, ethnicity and gender)
- personal freedom and fulfilment.
It seems incomprehensible that humankind appears to have universal
ideals, but that it is not capable of actually establishing
a society in which these ideals are carried thru. There must be
something that overrules the ideals formally adhered to, or
paid lip-service to; something that prepares human beings, or
people, to act to the contrary. Let us therefore take a closer
look at the examples given.
- civil and international wars and conflicts
- abnegational discrimination and preferential treatment
- unnecessary restrictions of personal freedom.